OUPV Upgrade to 100 Ton Masters Captains License
Inland, Great Lakes or Near Coastal
Is it time to upgrade your OUPV license to 100 Ton Masters License? Explorer's Guide Maritime Academy has the course to do just that. Our 100 Ton Masters License Upgrade can be taken in the classroom or online. Your sea service determines both the route and tonnage for your license. The routes include Inland, Great Lakes and Near Coastal. Near Coastal include both inland and Great Lakes routes.
The tonnage of the vessel you can operate also depends on size of the vessel you served on. Tonnage ratings include 25, 50, or 100-ton Master captains license.
- for an Inland or Great Lake is the same as your oupv - 360 days with at least 90 days on the Great Lakes and at least 90 days of sea service on any waters within the last three year
- For the Near Coastal Masters is 720 days of whcih as least 360 days on the Great Lakes and/or near coastal waters.
- Everyone get at least a 25 ton endorsement.
- Under the grandfather provisions one day on a vessel documented over 5 gross tons gets you a 50 ton masters license. This ends in 2019.
- Under the new regulation 50 ton requires 90 days (25%) of service of vessels of 26 GRT or above,
- OR 180 days (50%) of service on vessels 17 GRT or above.
- For a 100 ton master Inland or Great Lakes, you need 180 days on a vessel over 34 gross tons or 90 days on a vessel over 51 gross tons.
- For the near Coastal these number double.
● 24 Hours in classroom
● Classroom normally is a Friday, Saturday, Sunday
● Fee:$335 includes course materials, instruction, one sitting of the one final proctored exam, and Certificate of Completion
Topics: Build on your OUPV license. They include:
- Block, Tackle, and Wire Rope
- Stability, Load Lines
- Safety drill,
- Ships construction,
- Fire fighting Equipment and Regulations,
- Life Saving Appliances, Receiving Survivors
- T Boat Regulations
PLEASE NOTE: If you take this class and do not have the required sea service time for the near coastal route, your license will be approved for either a Inland or Great Lakes route. If in the future you want to upgrade to near coastal route, you will be required to our Masters Increase in scope course.
Exam: One 50-questions Deck General Exams 70% correct to pass
Locations: Classroom classes for this Masters 100 ton Inland, Great lakes and Near Coastal are held in Appleton, Milwaukee, Chicago, California, Georga, and Hilo or by distant learning.
Have more questions? Feel free to call us at (920) 733-5500