OUPV Captains License -
Inland, Great Lakes or Near Coastal Routes
The route you get is determined by your sea service.
The USCG-Approved OUPV 6 Pack Captains License lets you take 6 passengers for-hire, plus crew, on your vessel. The course was designed for Captains working and boating on federal waters with passengers for hire on a power-driven boat. This includes duck hunters, tours, fishing and similar activities.
The route you get depends on were you spent your on-the-water time. Inland waters is the basic route. It includes any inland waters of the US. It does not have to be federal designated waters to count. If you have 90 days on the Great Lakes, you can get a Great lakes route endorsement however, request the near Coastal endorsement as Great Lakes time now counts towards a near coastal license.
With a major code change in March 2014, all Great Lakes times now counts for Near Coastal. So 90 days on the Great Lakes and/or near coastal waters, you will have the near coastal route added to your endorsement. This means you can work on any US waters include US Virgin Islands
This lets you use your license any were in the US and territories including Virgin Island, and any Alaskan waters!
Classes are available in both online and classroom settings.
Questions? Need answers? Call us at 920-733-5500. Click to call on mobile only
- - 52 classroom hours.
- - OUPV - 6 Pack Captains License courses available in a classroom or online.
- - Classroom: Thursday night, and all day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday for two weekends.
- - Online Captains License courses: 24/7 for 26 weeks + proctored exam.
- - National Maritime Center approved for original issuance, renewal, and re-issuance of a merchant mariner credential as an Operator of Uninspected Vessels (OUPV).
Fee: $695, includes all course materials (manual, plotting tools, charts, rules book) and one sitting of your proctored exam.
Lessons: Lesson are divided into four modules, just like the exams.
Navigation Rules of the Road
Plotting - Charts, Fixes and Running Fixes, Dead Reckoning, Distance off, Electronic Navigation, and Magnetic Compass
Navigation General - Weather, Tides, Aids to Navigation, and Publications
Deck General, Safety and Environmental - Marlinspike Seamanship, Vessel Maneuvering and Handling, Small Engines, Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting, Emergency Procedures, Maritime Law, Shipboard Management and Training, Ship’s Business, Communications, and Lifesaving Appliances
Location: Most OUPV - 6 Pack Captains license classes through Explorers Guide Maritime Academy are held in:
- Appleton, WI
- Grass Valley, Redding, Cresent City, CA
- Chicago, IL
However, we will travel to other locations if we have 10 or more students. Please contact for more information
License Requirements: Sea Service for the OUPV Near Coastal - 6 Pack Captains License are:
Have required sea service (day is a minimum of four hours underway)
- At least a total 360 days
- 90 days in the last 3 years. This is called recency.
- For Near Coastal endorsement, you need at least 90 days of the 360 day either on the Great Lakes and/or seaward of the boundary line (off the coast) .
Exams: OUPV - 6 Pack Captains License has four exams. If you fail one exam, you can retake that exam over twice more. If you fail it a third time, you repeat the class. This is the National Maritime Center's directive.
- Rules of the Road 50 questions: Need 45 correct.
- Plotting: 10 questions. Need 9 correct.
- Navigation General: 50 questions. Need 35 correct.
- Deck General, Safety, and Environmental: 50 questions. Need 35 correct.
If you follow along in class and do a little added studying at home, you have a high percentage of passing these exams the first time.
Please visit our license help page for detailed requirements for obtaining the OUPV captains license.
Have more questions? Feel free to call us at (920) 733-5500.